Sunday 27 January 2019

22. We have broken new ground

It's been a busy busy week. Monday was spent chilling and working in the garden as we have done so much running round lately. Tuesday we went to Popovo to get some shopping in as we pulled up near to the butchers shop there were 3 abandoned puppies, also a man with a stick shooing them away. Julie jumped out of the van even before I had stopped ran over and grabbed one of the pups the other two ran off a bit and with those "can we eyes" she has said we must have it. So enter our world Daisy the dog. All the time im looking at her massive paws thinking she might be small now !!!
We had always planned on another dog only I hadn't planned on one so soon.
She is small, cute and a dynamo for something so small she can cause havoc. But she will grow out of that and be loved and have a much nicer life than she expected when she woke up that morning.
So it was straight to the vets with her flea dropped and wormed and go back in two weeks for her inoculations.

She looks like butter wouldnt melt in her mouth

Wednesday we had arranged to meet Monica our estate agent she was going to help us sort out our residency cards at the police station in Targovishte. First we had to call at our local municipality offices to collect a document. We needed a document that had both our address and parcel number of our property on as our title deeds only have the parcel number on.
The municipality offices are in nearby Opaka and Monica had spoken to the mayor of our village on Tuesday who had told her they would issue said document in Opaka.
We went into an office with several middle aged ladies and after a while with all the conversation in bulgarian we went to another office where a man was a bit more conversation in bulgarian then back to the first office. I dont speak Bulgarian but im pretty good at body language which confirmed to me there was some problem as Monica was becoming more irate with the ladies in the office.
We came out of that office and Monica explained to me that they wouldn't issue the document and they didn't know who would.
From here we went straight to the top. We went to the Mayor lots more fast bulgarian talking and shaking of heads Monica even phoned a lawyer who told them to issue the document but nobody seemed to know who issued it. After about 90 minutes of in and out of offices we finally got the document that would suffice. This was my first encounter of bulgarian burocracy at its finest.
Then it was off to Targovishte me following Monica. When we first started to look at properties Monica drove us around all day and I had forgot she drives like Lewis Hamilton.
On the way there we were in a line of about 5 cars as we passed some police, which car got pulled you guessed it ME. Monica stopped as well thankfully and after a quick conversation in Bulgarian the policeman told me to put my lights on. My lights were on ? But I just said "Da" and off we went.
At the police station there was lots of form filling done and after paying about 80 levs we were told to come back the following day to collect our temporary residency cards and have our photos taken for our official cards.
On the way home I stopped to pick up some new petchka pipes as we have been slowly being smoked out of our front room when we light the petchka. Full set of flue pipes about 8 quid so not worth sweeping them.
When we got home I decided to put the new pipes on. It turned out to be one of those jobs you wish you hadn't started.
I don't think our chimney had ever been swept the old pipes were in a terrible state and the house chimney was almost blocked.
I should of taken a photo of it but forgot, but here's one showing the old pipes I took off.

A horrible blocked flue

It took me about 3 hours to clean the chimney it was that bad I finally did it with a brush tied to the mop  handle. All in going to say on the subject is that it's a good job we will be decorating.

Thursday was back to the police station and we got issued with our temporary cards and we go back on Monday for our official ones.
Having now got my temporary card I thought on the way back I would try and insure the van. Not to be as my temporary card doesn't have my unique number on BOLLOCKS.

However when i was in the insurance office the lady that works there doesn't speak english so she rang a lady that does and in about 30 seconds she turned up with her husband . He is Scottish and she is bulgarian. She explained to me to go back on Monday after I get my official card and I can sort my insurance. Hurray cost of insurance is 260 levs about £130 per year.
Tuesday I go and get my van onto Bulgarian plates then call back in the insurance office for them to change my policy then that's another job crossed off the list.

After all this running around we finally had 3 days at home this has been spent tackling the jungle of a garden I think i can actually see some progress.
Today has been a lovely sunny day and I have been in the garden all day. And what's more I have actually started to dig what will be our veggie plot.
The first bed is dug and the next thing will be to put a frame round it as we have decided to have raised beds.

The first dig 

Have a good week im off to put roast potatoes on for our Sunday dinner and have a well earned beer


No comments:

Post a Comment